CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
<bgsound src='http://www.geocities.com/aileen_meyj/fadeintoyous.mp3'></bgsound>

Saturday, October 23, 2004

~* LITTLE JOYS FROM MCS *~

Ok, it's my guilty pleasure to buy pirated DVDs in Makati Cinema Square (MCS) during lunch break. Who doesn't buy pirated DVD? To pay P800+ bucks for something that you can get for P80 bucks is totally ridiculous and insanely illogical.

So anyway, I am soooo pleased with the stuff I got this week:


BEFORE SUNSET

This is the sequel to that Ethan Hawke non-mainstream film Before Sunrise.

I have seen Before Sunrise in cable (in WOWOW channel, would you believe?!) some time in the late 90s. I am a big Ethan Hawke fan and I endured the dragging movie just for the sake of gushing over him. The movie is artfully done and the plot was unique and romantic. My fave scenes were the mock phone call thing in the resto and the last scene wherein Julie Delphy's character takes a picture (of Ethan) in her mind. I guess the movie is not really for everybody since it takes a great amount of patience to watch only two characters in the whole span of the movie. You'd really have to be interested in artsy-fartsy cinematography and strangely beautiful soundtrack (aside from being a big Ethan Hawke fan) to truly appreciate this first installment of the story.

I am not sure how this second installment goes as I haven't watched it yet. Anyway, I heard from Mitzi (who watched this in the US when it was released) that the movie is really nice. This is the FIRST in my MUST-VIEW list this weekend ;)


ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND


I have heard raves about this movie so I got it. I'm a sucker for romance :P Looks like a unique character for Jim Carrey to portray.

CHASING AMY


Now this one--I was so pleasantly surprised to find in the stash of HK high quality DVDs! I'm sure almost everyone knows the famous quote (actually a long speech thing) by that Holden character of Ben Affleck. Eversince I've read that excerpt, I have been super curious about seeing the movie. I have asked around from people I know but none of them had VCDs or DVD of the movie to lend me. I was like "eureka!" *eyes popping* when I saw this DVD yesterday noon in one of my suki vendors. Well, here's the famous Chasing Amy quote for the benefit of the unfortunate ones who've never heard of this kick-ass script:



I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is the farthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't, I can't look into your eyes without feeling that, that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. And I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, because I've never felt this way before, and I don't care. I like who I am because of it. And if bringing this to light means we can't hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But God, I just, I couldn't allow another day to go by without just getting it out there, regardless of the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And, you know, I'll accept that. But I know... I know that some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there is a moment of hesitation, then that means you feel something too. All I ask, please, is that you just, you just not dismiss that - and try to dwell in it for just ten seconds. Alyssa, there isn't another soul on this fucking planet who has ever made me half the person I am when I'm with you, and I would risk this friendship for the chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it is there between you and me. You can't deny that. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again after tonight, please know that I'm forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.
Winner dba? Sooo witty! :) *imagines Ben Affleck saying those to me*

***************

Now there's only two movies left on my hard-to-find list: PRETTY IN PINK and DON'T TEMPT ME. I have found a DVD of Sixteen Candles months back but I have never ever heard of anyone spotting a Pretty in Pink pirated DVD. The tinderas go "duh" whenever I ask them if they have Don't Tempt Me. Kainis. It's not as known as Y Tu Mama Tambien. I only watch Gael Garcia Bernal flicks when it comes to subtitled foreign films. Reading through the whole movie is sooo worth it as long as it's yummy Gael;) So if anyone out there knows where to find these movies, tell me, tell me! (I'm too stingy to buy the original online... hehehe...)

Come to think of it, there are only two original copies of DVD in my entire 40ish pcs. collection. First is the Incubus concert - The Morning View Sessions -- my officemate happened to stumble upon a lone copy in Music One Megamall so he called me up pa if I wanted it and then he bought it for me first, and then I reimbursed him the next day. Second is my copy of the John Cusack starrer, High Fidelity. It was the last copy in Music One Greenbelt.

5 comments:

Siaz said...

Oh.. you'll definitely love BEFORE SUNSET.. Two thumbs up!!! I have Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink too.. Darwin's asking me what's with collecting old DVDs? hehehe I just love watching it over and over again.. You have Eternal Sunshine too..galing nyan!! Miss u girl...

Abbie said...

I'll ask my "supplier" if he got Pretty in Pink. :) I know exactly how you feel...I finally found a pDVD copy of American President on my last trip to MC.

Oh, I finally have the real 6th season of SATC. I am on my last 6 episodes.

Anonymous said...

may VCD ng Pretty in Pink! ayaw mo vcd? i bought a copy last year.=) & dba meron din na Don't Tempt Me...pero different title...i forgot na uli what it is! nasabi ko na sayo dba? -charo

~*lilacstardust*~ said...

i watched all 3 DVDs this weekend! MITZI! i watched na before sunset: i liked their witty conversations! i like that stuff celine said about relationships (when it's lost-- it's lost...) and she said something about the concept of having just that ONE person for you being evil. hay, i will watch it again to get the damn quotes right, hehe. i surfed the net but nobody's posted the nicee quotes yet :( i was more kilig though with before sunrise and ethan was cuter back then. he's gotten thinner now :( i just like the raw anger and resentment convo thing they had inside the car. I liked eternal sunshine! sooo cute how they still fell in love with each other despite having erased each other fr their memory *aww*. chasing amy was great! such a unique twisted story. kevin smith roooocks! i didn't know that jason lee was there in the movie too. i had a lil crush on this dude when i watched HEARTBREAKERS (starring Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sigourney Weaver)... he was so adorable in that movie esp. in that scene when he danced with Jennifer Love to the tune of this John Lennon song. try to watch that ;)

ABBIE! yes pleaaaase. ask! ask! pa-check na rin if your suki has "SAY ANYTHING"-- it's also an old movie with john cusack. like it came out 80s pa ata. teka, whatdya mean the REAL 6th season of SATC? may ermm fake ba?

MOONFLOWER: yeah, i like that chasing amy quote :)

CHARO: hmm, mas maganda sana if DVD ;) i also can't remember yung alternative title ng don't tempt me na u mentioned to me b4... i was meaning to ask you nga din kasi baka yun ang title sa dvd, hehe...

icewulf said...

did the same when i was back home, I'd rather buy at SM (sa muslim) than the original copies.

here the DVD'sare well....about $16 to $30 depending on the movie. but if you go to downtown Los Angeles, find a Mexican with black trashbags over his back, he just might be selling pirated DVDs for 3 to 5 dollars. Hehehe... i love shopping cheap at downtown.

Hope all is well with you!