CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
<bgsound src='http://www.geocities.com/aileen_meyj/fadeintoyous.mp3'></bgsound>

Saturday, January 29, 2005

~* CLOSER *~


I just saw Closer on DVD and I totally loved it! Natalie Portman deserves that Golden Globe. I'm surprised to find out that Clive Owen also won a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Larry in Closer. Anyway, aside from the fact that Jude Law has the dreamiest blue eyes I've ever seen, I totally loved the dialogues. And of course, what could go wrong with a Julia Roberts movie?! So many quotable quotes... And you know I'm a sucker for quotes :P

Third reason why I love this movie: Damien Rice's The Blower's Daughter (which is my ultimate favorite track from his album "O") is the movie's "main theme" if I may say so. Plus, the intro of Cold Water were used in a lot of scenes.

And so it is just like you said it would be
Life goes easy on me
most of the time
And so it is the shorter story
No love, no glory
No hero in her sky
I can't take my eyes off you...
I can't take my mind off you...

~ the blower's daughter


Here's a little background to set up the conversations in your head in case you haven't seen the movie yet.

Now here are my favorite lines from the movie:


Anna: Men are crap
Daniel: But all the same...
Anna: They're still crap.

*******

When Jude Law's character breaks up with Natalie Portman's character:

Daniel: This will hurt...
Alice: You're a piece of sh*t!
Daniel: Deception is brutal. I'm not pretending otherwise.
Alice: How? How does it work? How do you do this to someone?
Daniel: I fell in love with her, Alice...
Alice: Oh as if you had no choice?!?!... There's a moment... There's always a moment--I can do this. I can give in to this or I can resist it. I don't know when your moment was but I bet you knew there was one.


Alice: Can I still see you?
Daniel: If I see you, I'll never leave you.
Alice: Do you still fancy me?
Daniel: Of course.
Alice: You're lying.... (starts crying)... Will you hold me?... I amuse you but I bore you!
Daniel: No... no...
Alice: You did love me?
Daniel: I'll always love you. I hate hurting you.
Alice: Why are you?
Daniel: Coz I'm selfish.


Alice: You'll miss me... No one will ever love you as much as I do. WHY ISN'T LOVE ENOUGH?

*******

When Julia Roberts' character breaks up with Clive Owen's character, Clive angrily fires off questions to Julia:

Anna: Why are you doing this?
Larry: Coz I wanna know!
Anna: Why is the sex so important to you?
Larry: Because I'm a f***ing caveman!
Anna: Yes, I came! We do everything that people who have sex do!
Larry: You like his c*ck?
Anna: I love it!
Larry: You like him c*mming in your face?
Anna: Yes!
Larry: What's it taste like?
Anna: It tastes like you but sweeter!
Larry: That's the spirit! Thank you. Thank you for honesty. Now f*** off and die. You f***ed up slag.

*******

Alice to Larry: I am not your revenge f***.

******

Daniel: Why didn't you lie to me?
Anna: Coz we said we'd always tell each other the truth.
Daniel: What's so great about the truth?! TRY LYING FOR A CHANGE! IT'S THE CURRENCY OF THE WORLD!

******

Daniel: You think that love is so simple. You think that the heart is a diagram.
Larry: Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood.

******

Larry to Daniel (talking about Alice): She loves you beyond comprehension.

******

Daniel: When I get back, please tell me the truth.
Alice: Why?
Daniel: Because I'm addicted to it... BECAUSE WITHOUT IT, WE'RE ANIMALS.

******

Daniel: Coz I'm an idiot.
Alice: Yes. I would have loved you forever...
Daniel: Don't do this, Alice. Talk to me...
Alice: I am talking. F*** off.
Daniel: I love you.
Alice: When?... Show me! WHERE IS THIS LOVE? I CAN'T SEE IT. I CAN'T TOUCH IT. I CAN'T FEEL IT. I CAN HEAR IT. I CAN HEAR SOME WORDS BUT I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR EASY WORDS. Whatever you say, it's too late. It's done. Now please go.


Bravo. The credit goes to Patrick Marber for the brilliant lines. Watch it! Watch it!

6 comments:

Admin said...

loved this movie. was kinda shocked seeing natalie do the bar thing though. it's a very clever movie. it's quite depressing too.

i hope that natalie wins an oscar for her role. it's a very difficult role.

and of course damien rice blew me away again.

Anonymous said...

aileen i wanna see this movie too! borrow!=) sobrang crush ko si Jude Law! ~charu

~*lilacstardust*~ said...

FAY: yeah, i'm rooting for natalie portman to win an Oscar. (i haven't seen the other nominated movies though... but nevertheless...). the role seems to mark a new milestone for her since it's an adult/mature role with a lot of depth.

CHARO: awww, jude law! *swoons* sure, i'll lend it to u! don't dare blink on that last scene of jude & natalie... u'll *sorta* see something there if u're attentive enough to details ;-)

Claire said...

Hi Ai! I'll watch this movie tonight. Excited na ko. My officemate said if you have a bf you shouldn't watch this together (as if I have a bf! hahaha). I duno why. Anyway, I'll find out tonight.

Anonymous said...

asttteeegg!!!

~*lilacstardust*~ said...

heya ivah =) i soooo love the lines too! it's such a suuuuper nice movie grabeh! i can't believe that it is only this april that they're showing the movie here! i'm so glad i watched it months ago. im gonna watch it again soon ;-)

yup, even if jude law is quite thin (he's not really the chunky hunk kind of man dba), he's still hot! i can't wait to see Alfie (just bought the DVD today)! ;-) i heard he was yummy in that movie too. =)