CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
<bgsound src='http://www.geocities.com/aileen_meyj/fadeintoyous.mp3'></bgsound>

Sunday, October 02, 2005

~* BEFORE SUNRISE *~

I was bumming around watching movies yesterday (Monster-in-Law, A Very Long Engagement and Before Sunrise) and decided to see Before Sunrise again. I think that was the 3rd time I've seen it. I just love the conversations. And of course, Ethan Hawke. It's a shame that Ethan Hawke is not really "big" nowadays as much as he was before in the 90s. And I have thought differently of him after he left Uma Thurman (what was he thinking?!?).

Anyway, the movie is basically one great interesting conversation about love and life. Here are some of my favorites:




Celine: You know, I've been wondering lately. Do you know anyone who's in a happy relationship?

Jesse: Uh, yeah, sure. Y'know, I know happy couples. But I think they lie to each other.

Celine: Hmf. Yeah. People can lead their life as I lie. My grandmother, she was married to this man, and I always thought she had a very simple, uncomplicated love life. But she just confessed to me that she spent her whole life dreaming about another man she was always in love with. She just accepted her fate. It's so sad. And in the same time, I love the idea that she had all those emotions and feelings I never thought she would have had.

Jesse:
I guarantee you, it was better that way. If she'd ever got to know him, y'know, I'm sure he would have disappointed her eventually.

Celine: How do you know? You don't know them.

Jesse: Yeah, I know, I know. It's just, people have these romantic projections they put on everything. Y'know. that's not based on any kind of reality.

~oO0Oo~

Celine:
If there's any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed, but... who cares, really? The answer must be in the attempt.

~oO0Oo~

Jesse:
You know what's the worst thing about somebody breaking up with you? Is when you remember how little you thought about the people you broke up with and you realize that is how little they're thinking of you. You know, you'd like to think you're both in all this pain but they're just like 'Hey, I'm glad you're gone!'.



My fave scenes:

1. THE LISTENING BOOTH - ahh, the exchange of looks and the uhh slightly uncomfortable silence.

There's a wind that blows in from the north,
And it says that loving takes its course.
Come here. Come here.
No I'm not impossible to touch,
I have never wanted you so much.
Come here. Come here.
Have I never lay down by your side?
Baby, let's forget about this pride.
Come here. Come here.

Well, I'm in no hurry.
You don't have to run away this time.
I know that you're jimmied,
but it's gonna be all right this time.
[song fades]



2. THE PHONE - Celine pretends to call her best friend and talks about Jesse. She asks Jesse to call his friend too. Ethan, Ethan, Ethan. *sigh*

Celine: Well... he convinced me. Well, actually I was [smiles] I was ready to get off the train with him after talking to him a short while. He was so sweet, I couldn't help it. [softly] We were in the lounge car, and he began to talk about him, as a little boy, seeing his great-grandmother's ghost. I think that's when I fell for him. Just the idea of this little boy with all those beautiful dreams. [emphatically] He trapped me.

Jesse:
MmHmm [emphatically].

Celine:
And he's so cute! He has beautiful blue eyes, [he closes his eyes] nice big lips, [back-pouts his mouth], greasy hair, [she laughs] I love it. He's kind of tall, and a little clumsy. [softly] I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away. [smiling] He kind of kisses like an adolescent, its so cute.

Jesse:
What?

Celine:
Yeah, we kissed. It was so adorable. As the night went on, I began to like him more and more. But I'm afraid he's scared of me. Y'know, I told him the story about the woman that kills her ex-boyfriend, and stuff. He must be scared to death. [Jesse begins to shake his head, slowly] He must be thinking I'm this manipulative, mean woman. I just hope he doesn't feel that way about me, because you know me, I'm the most harmless person. The only person I could really hurt is myself.

Jesse: I don't think he's scared of you. I think he's crazy about you.


3. THE PICTURE - Jesse steps back and takes Celine's picture by giving her this intense stare. Aww.

Jesse: [looking at her. He stops her dancing] Oh, wow.

Celine: What?

Jesse: Uh.... I'm gonna take your picture. [puts her at arms length, and stares] So I never forget you or, uh, or all this.

Celine: Okay. Me too.

[She stops and stares at him too. He leans over and they kiss. Eventually, they stop, and walk away holding hands.]

6 comments:

Abbie said...

Mark called me up two weekends ago to chat. I was so surprised, of course. Turned out that he just had a Before Sunrise/Sunset marathon. I dunno why but he somehow always links to US the movies. He even said that our love story's ala "Before 2006". OH WELL! Wala lang. :(

arlene :) said...

i love those scences too!!!! talo pala kita.. i watched it 5 times na ata eh. =)

Siaz said...

Aileen: I love this movie too.. Have you seen Before Sunset na? Abbie has a copy.. hehehe

Abbie: Musta na? Mark should be thankful coz you got him the orig Before sunset DVD... =P I miss your posts.. i visit your "unbreak me" blog too pero wala pang post..

I miss you guys!!! mwahh!!!

~*lilacstardust*~ said...

IVAH: yes, when i'm in the mood for collecting my thoughts or like if i feel like thinking profoundly, i always like to turn to this movie :) naalala ko my dad when he saw me watching before sunset... he said "ano ba yan, puro tokis!" hehe. he couldn't fathom why i was watching such a seemingly boring movie ;P

ABBIE: hay. wag nang isipin ang mark na yan. para saan pa ang pa-senti-senti talks nyo na yan kung wala namang meaningful ending? asus. it's one of those "wala lang" moments dba?

ARLENE: wow, 5 times! grabeh! i will probably watch before sunrise/sunset at least once a year ;)

MITZI: yup, i have the dvd of before sunset ;) i intend to watch it again some time soon para may ermm, "continuity" naman ang dvd-bumming ko hehe :P since i super love before sunrise/sunset, i was almost gonna buy the original dvd boxed set pero corny eh, wala man lang anything new/different/add-on feature. wala. movie lang sya. walang kwentang dvd release. so i thought i might as well be contented with my *gasp* pirated copies ;)

Admin said...

gah! my favorite scene of all time. kapag pinagusapan na namin ng friend ko ito...walang katapusan, as in wala. i love before sunrise!

~*lilacstardust*~ said...

FAY: which one's your fave scene? :)