CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
<bgsound src='http://www.geocities.com/aileen_meyj/fadeintoyous.mp3'></bgsound>

Sunday, October 01, 2006

~* THREE DAYS OF DARKNESS *~

And back to the dark ages, we were. When typhoon Milenyo started to pick up around 9am Thursday, the electricity was cut while I was in the middle of downloading themes for my Nokia phone. By Friday morning, my celfone was dead.

THINGS I MISSED DURING THE BLACKOUT:

1. internet
2. tv shows
3. chico & delamar
4. clean water & long baths
5. electric fan
6. lights
7. celfone
8. microwave
9. flushing the toilet bowl after every use
10. music fr. my stereo


FORSAKEN THINGS I APPRECIATED DURING THE BLACKOUT:

1. our 90s era Honda generator
2. water tank
3. flashlight
4. candles
5. battery-operated radio
6. books
7. landline
8. sunshine
9. anahaw fans
10. old photo albums


Thank God for my Dad (always the superhero Mr. Fix-It) who drove with such zeal and persistence until he reached Taft Ave. last Friday morning to have our 90s era generator fixed. At least that meant a couple of hours electricity for the household -- just enough power to turn on the deep well water tank and fill it with water (which we shared w/ our relatives, of course), the refrigerators to avoid stale food, the aquarium pumps so dad's fishes won't die on us and a bit of quick showers for us to keep us from stinking. Even our poor shih tzu Chloe who smelled like a dirty wet rag managed to score a quick bath yesterday. She looked so weak with the hot weather (with all her thick hair and everything) that I fanned her for a while as she wagged her tail in delight.

The past three days sooo bored me out of my wits that I managed to finish reading the very boringly-written Persuasion (Jane Austen) by Friday afternoon. I liked how the story turned out but, really, it was such a dragging read! It was written on the 18th century so what could I expect but very bland, formal and royally boring old English.

It's weird to say, but I was actually tired of lying down and sleeping for the majority of the three days of darkness. The world was one big bore and there was nothing left to do but lie down, stare into the pitch blackness of the night and try to fall asleep. The perfect silence of the entire village magnified every creak and strange sound of the night. Good luck to the paranoid.

0 comments: