CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
<bgsound src='http://www.geocities.com/aileen_meyj/fadeintoyous.mp3'></bgsound>

Sunday, July 24, 2005

~* SPONGE COLA & SUGARFREE @ HARD ROCK *~

Went to Hard Rock last July 22 (FRI) to watch Sponge Cola and Sugarfree. Twas such a rockin' combination so I didn't want to miss the gig. I managed to drag one of my college friends Rose to join me. While we were eating dinner, I got a call from Abbie. Funny coz we were just talking about her... Rose wanted to borrow my He's Just Not That Into You book but I said it has been with Abbie for the longest time. 'Turned out that Abbie saw that Sponge Cola and Sugarfree were playing at Hard Rock so she had a hunch that I was there. She joined us for dinner but left shortly after Rick (another college friend of mine) arrived.

Sponge Cola performed first. They just came from the Meg anniversary party at Rockwell so they only got to start playing around 9:45pm. Yael apologized for being a bit late. They opened with Partisan. They played Lunes, Neon, Gemini, Jillian, Crazy for You, KLSP. At some point (I'm not sure if it was during Lunes???) the guitar of Yael got disconnected or something so there was no sound coming from it. Rayms (band manager) quickly tried to fix the tech prob. Since Jillian was Chris's song, he and Yael switched places --Chris on vocals and guitar, Yael on drums. Before the song's last stanza, Chris broke into the first stanza of Foo Fighters' Best of Me and then switched back to Jillian. If I remember it right, their last song was Jeepney wherein Yael put down his guitar and concentrated on just doing the vocals.




Image hosted by Photobucket.com
sponge cola

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
gosh and chris

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
chris, yael and armo

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
yael (vocals/guitar)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
armo (guitar)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
chris (drums/vocals)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
rayms (band manager) and gosh (bass)


After their performance, I went to the side of the stage to have my Palabas CD signed and have some pics taken. Chris kinda laughed when I handed him a CD jewel case with the Palabas CD and the Dramachine inlay. During gigs kasi, I don't want to bring the original jewel case of the album for fear that it might get broken or scratched. Had to explain that too to Yael when he was amused at the Palabas/Dramachine combination. As usual, I requested Rayms to be my ermm photographer since I left Rose and Rick at our table as Sugarfree started with their set. *** Super thanks Rayms!!! *** I was about to leave the SC boys but then I saw this bunch of SC posters on their table. So I asked Yael: "How do I get one?" and he went "Umm... like this... (smiling while giving me one)". Hehe. Awww. Cute. *** Super thanks Yael!!! *** While Yael was signing, I asked why they don't play Una live. It's one of their best Tagalog tracks in the album in my opinion -- i looove the vocal arrangement (esp. on the chorus -- the mix between Yael and Chris singing) and the musical arrangement (the sound of the classical guitar and samisen!). Plus, its lyrics was also well-written by Gosh. Yael said it was hard to play it live :p. Anyway, while I was talking to Yael, I also congratulated him for Gemini hitting #1 in 99.5RT after it was just released last July 15.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
take 1: umm, gosh couldn't be seen so rayms took another shot

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
take 2: armo is really sleepy na. lol.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
yael with his well-practiced pose as usual;)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
my signed palabas cd

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
my SC poster courtesy of yael. armo left na so he wasn't able to sign it.


Sugarfree played after SC. It was my first time to watch them live, and can I just say, they're such a delight to watch! :) I missed a coupla songs coz I was still at the side of the stage with SC. They sang Burnout, Tulog Na, Prom, Kwarto, Telepono, Mariposa and Hari ng Sablay among others. Ebe Dancel was funny sometimes. Sugarfree broke into the intro of KLSP to kid Yael and the guys who hung out a bit during the first few songs of Sugarfree. During the last part of Prom (Parang atin ang gabi...), Ebe sorta missed a note so he did it again... sayang naman daw coz pumalakpak pa naman daw kami :p. And there was this funny part when he was greeting birthday celebrants from the audience: So there was this group of teens just behind our table who had a birthday celebrant named Jamie...

Teens: "Jamie!"
Ebe: "Jayvee?"
Teens: "Jamie!"
Ebe: "Jaydee?"
Teens: "Jamie!... M... Jamie!" (I was even helping them shout the name and doing an M sign ala-McDo over my head)
Jal does the McDo sign to Ebe too...

And Ebe exclaims: "Ah! J.M.?!"

ahaha :P

Finally, after quite a bit, somebody handed Ebe greetings to read and he read a bday greeting to that Jamie girl. And that's the time he finally got it! ehehe :p

After their performance, I managed to catch Mitch as he was about to leave. I asked him to sign my Dramachine CD inlay. And then I turned to the table where Jal and Ebe sat for their dinner. I asked them first if it was okay for them to sign and pose for a photo-op since I saw that Ebe had started to take a few bites from his dinner. Jal said it was okay, so there... :)


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
sugarfree

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
jal (bass)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
mitch (drums)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
ebe (vocals/guitar)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
with ebe and jal...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
extra brownie points for mitch, ebe and jal for their personalized autographs :)
Since Mitch was the first to sign, he asked my name first... Ebe and Jal followed suit.

0 comments: